GEMS Education is fully committed to safeguarding the welfare of all children and young people. The purpose of this role is to ensure the effective management of child safeguarding across GEMS’ schools through leading on case management, training, and development, external stakeholder management, safeguarding processes, curriculum development, student voice and participation and parental engagement.
The Senior Manager of Safeguarding will support an identified cluster of schools to embed the organisation’s safeguarding policy and strategic plan within the GEMS network so that there is consistency of safeguarding practice and policy compliance across the group.
Policy and Processes
- Providing sound advice and support on safeguarding matters to the GEMS Education management teams and school-based staff;
- Supporting the development and implementation of relevant policies so that practice is consistent,
- Ensuring that safe systems and practices are in place across GEMS through the safeguarding self-evaluation framework to improve practice, develop capacity and inform governance.
- Developing and maintaining key metrics to measure the impact of any safeguarding activities relevant to the role.
- Managing data systems and preparing key reports on all safeguarding matters as required
- Review and quality assure safeguarding incidents entered into online reporting platform by GEMS schools to ensure the accurate reporting of safeguarding concerns.
- Effectively manage all safeguarding cases assigned.
Training and development of people
- Working in partnership with key stakeholders (internal and external)
- Continuously developing new training content, reflecting staff and student needs
- Analyse safeguarding data to ensure training is reflective of current patterns and trends.
- Developing and maintaining key metrics to measure the impact of any training so that programmes result in positive outcomes for students.
- Preparing management reports that demonstrate the impact of safeguarding training so that GEMS governance is well-informed regarding the development of a competent, confident workforce and progress against relevant strategic goals.
Stakeholder Management (with external agencies)
- Support the VP Safeguarding & Child Protection with the development and maintenance of relationships with external agencies including the leadership, implementation, and management of school-based programmes from GEMS’ strategic partners.
- Lead on developing strategic partnerships with a range of internal and external partners in the local community, to ensure effective partnership-working to provide an integrated provision for children.
Continue to develop and implement the Self-evaluation process
- Alongside the VP Safeguarding & Child Protection, lead on the development, review, and continued implementation of the Safeguarding self-evaluation framework (SEF) for all GEMS schools so that practice is continually developed and improved.
- Key responsibilities will include managing school visits, records of SEF visits, analysing SEF judgements and providing recommendations for improvement in practice to schools, and co-ordinating DSL working groups to share good practice.
Further development of the DSL Forums
- Lead, develop and deliver content for the GEMS DSL Forums in collaboration with DSLs and the central safeguarding team colleagues, so that practice is continually developed and improved in line with relevant regulatory requirements and contributes to positive outcomes for children.
- Develop a suitable forum programme of events that reflects the needs of DSLs and the analysis of patterns and trends of safeguarding referrals, including the effective induction of any new DSLs.
- Alongside the VP Safeguarding & Child Protection, lead on the development and implementation of safeguarding ‘curriculum’ content for students and parents which is relevant and sensitive to our school context and country of operation.
Student voice and participation (including SEND/vulnerable groups)
- Explore opportunities for students to participate meaningfully in, and effectively contribute to, GEMS-wide policy-making and review, through researching best practice programmes, creating effective models, and coordinating working groups to enhance collaboration.
- Alongside the VP Safeguarding & Child Protection, lead on the development and implementation of safeguarding ‘curriculum’ content for parents. This will include engaging with external stakeholders and internal working groups, ensuring effective collaboration opportunities, and researching best practice industry standards.
Qualifications, Experience & Skills:
- Bachelors Degree as a minimum qualification
- QTS or extensive experience of safeguarding either in an educational or social context.
- Experience in leading school-level safeguarding, including case management, either as Designated Safeguarding Lead/Deputy or Pastoral Lead.
- Familiarity with the UAE context and a proven track record of effective school leadership.
- A thorough understanding of related educational safeguarding matters: eg safer recruitment, online safety, physical, sexual and emotional abuse, neglect, bullying etc.
Key Skills and abilities:
- Be able to develop an operational practice to achieve strategic goals.
- Ability to influence others through leadership that reflects our core values and ensures compliance with all aspects of safeguarding policy and practice.
- Ability to work effectively within a team and on own initiative
- Shape policy, improve practice and deliver positive outcomes for children.
- Excellent time management skills and be able to maintain high levels of speed and accuracy whilst managing competing priorities to challenging deadlines.
- Demonstrate the professional competency to support and challenge key stakeholders
- Recognise and challenge inappropriate or poor practice (at all levels within the organisation)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, matched with strong child-centric practice.
- Be emotionally resilient and demonstrate the passion to be a powerful advocate for children.
- Demonstrate confidentiality, sensitivity, empathy, and compassion.
About Your Benefits
An attractive remuneration package is on offer to the successful candidate including tax-free salary, medical cover, tuition fee concessions, annual leave, and end of service benefits.
Trusted for over 55 years and now a third generation education family, GEMS Education began in a single school room in Dubai. Today, we have the privilege of educating over 190,000 students from over 176 countries through GEMS owned and managed schools globally; over 270,000 students access resources through our services division; and we will impact 20 million by 2020 students through the initiatives of our Charity partner Varkey Foundation.
About Application Process
If you meet the criteria and you are enthusiastic about the role, we would welcome your application. To complete the application you would need the following document(s):
- Passport-size photograph