Phlebotomists are health care professionals who have been trained to collect patient’s blood specimens by venipuncture and by micro collection techniques.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Identifies the patient using two identifiers (as defined by the lab’s ‘’sample collection policy’’) – comparing patient information on the requisition to the patient’s identification before venipuncture is performed.
- Performs venipuncture’s and skin punctures competently and expediently.
- Must have the complete knowledge about which color top tube to use and the volume of blood needed – knows test requirements, assists in Clinical Laboratory as needed.
- Responsibilities include bleeding time tests, blood cultures, blood samples collection and look after the blood collection room requirements and maintain the cleanliness and decorum the blood collection rooms.
- Stock the laboratory full of supplies.
- Ensure all of the trays and tools used are clean and sanitized.
- Perform clerical duties such as filing, aiding technologists and collecting data.
- Complete reports when there are hazardous incidents and consult with the laboratory supervisor for further direction
- Phlebotomists deal with complications that may arise from improperly drawn blood, patient allergies, or other patient conditions.
- Comply with all OSH and infection control policies, standards and procedures and cooperate with hospital management to comply those requirements
- Work accordance with the documented OSH procedures and instructions, specific responsibilities
- Be familiar with emergency and evacuation procedures
- Notifying OSH Hazards, incidents, Near misses and issues and assistance with the preparation of risk assessments, incident reports
- Comply with Waste management procedures and policies
- Attend applicable OSH/Infection control training programs, mock drills and awareness programs
- Use of appropriate personal protective equipment and safety systems
Qualification, Licensure, Education, Experience, Special Skills:
- Associate Degree in Medical Laboratory Technology
- At least two (2) years of Medical Laboratory experience especially in the field of phlebotomy.
- Currently licensed in country of origin and with HAAD license to practice in Abu-Dhabi UAE.
- Fluent in spoken & written English, Arabic language is desirable, but not essential.